Sunday, September 20, 2009

As chapter 1 says: "The one-size-fits-all teacher may very well discover that the "size" of instruction he or she has selected fits almost no one." This chapter truly made me realize and reflect about the enormity of the position I am seeking. Every child is so different! I know and understand this because I am a mother - but I only have two children and they are mine forever. The children in my classroom will come and go and I will only have them for a very short period of time. I will need to make every moment the very best moment possible and will always need to be prepared to adapt to each students individual needs.

The prince and the fox was a great analogy! " . . . it is wearying always to be taming" and " . . . the student and teacher must part ways in the end." However, the joy that can come from the time spent together is well worth the taming process. I'm glad the author mentioned that "both parties are teachers and both are learners." I hope to always be learning from my students because I feel that is what a really good teacher does in an effort to continuously improve.

Chapter 2 had a lot of meaning for me. I remember times when I did not feel safe in a classroom - sometimes because of other students, and sometimes because of the teacher. It was difficult, if not impossible, for me to learn anything in those classes! I saw the same thing happen last year with my son and he was only in second grade. His learning came to a screeching halt and he was emotionally disconnected from the learning process. If only his teacher had been able to establish ties with my son! Differentiation was not her strong point and I have learned an invaluable lesson from her - this will not happen in my classroom. As it states towards the end of the chapter: "Connecting with each child is at the heart of differentiated teaching, because this approach to teaching does not accept learners as interchangeable parts."

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

this was a wonderful response... sincere and from the heart. It gave me an idea about how you think of teaching, and your future students. GREAT job! Also, I LOVE, love the music. Tell me about this song. Where did you find it? Who is it? It's perfect! 4 points

Don't Laugh At Me

Remember as you view this digital story that a simple hug can help those affected by bullying feel better about themselves and the world around them.