Sunday, October 4, 2009

Jaremy's Courage

Dear Jaremy,

I read your blog recently and am truly in awe of your courage for the huge task you have undertaken. I applaud your efforts to teach these young people who, statistically, have been forgotten by just about everyone. I feel you will become a hero to many of your students if you aren't already.

It must be very scary to have fights breaking out in your classroom! Although I'm not a professional on this subject I have been reading a book titled, "Fulfilling The Promise Of The Differentiated Classroom" by Carol Ann Tomlinson, and on page 44 it says, "Learners are adaptable. It's likely that most of them can adapt to varied sets of rules or guidelines most of the time. It's important, of course, that the learners are clear on what the guidelines are and why they exist. . . The wording of the guidelines will vary with the age of the student, but great classrooms can grow from four general rules:
  • We will show respect for people, their ideas, and their property.
  • We will work hard to ensure our own growth and to assist the growth of others.
  • We will persist, even when things are difficult and uncertain.
  • We will accept responsibility for the quality of our work and for our behaviors and actions.

. . . guidelines should focus on helping students understand and articulate that the class will be governed by 'what we need to succeed.'"

These guidelines may be helpful for both you and your students in establishing what is acceptable behavior in your classroom. It might even be more beneficial to have your students make up their own set of rules and consequences as this will allow them to feel more ownership within the walls of your particular school room.

I am close to graduating as an elementary teacher, Jaremy, and am currently taking a class about differentiation. This subject intrigues me because it is about adapting to each students needs and their different ways of learning. I imagine it could be one of the most difficult things a teacher has to do! However, I was impressed with some of your blog postings because it appears you're right on track with differentiation. You wrote about the students entering your class one day and immediately recognizing that something wasn't right. You went with your intuition and turned that situation into a real learning experience for both you and your students. You have also used your dance skills to help other students and recognized that this was a great opportunity for an after school program. You are definitely adapting to the needs of students!

You are doing an amazing job! From the above mentioned book it states, "The teacher who genuinely believes in the possibilities of each individual is not easily discouraged. That teacher does not question the educability of any student - race, class, and prior experience notwithstanding." Be persistent, Jaremy! Do not be easily discouraged and continue to move forward knowing that every student can learn.

Sincerely, Andrea Jones

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

Wow! I'm impressed at how you got to know so much about Jeremy and what he is trying, what he's doing. And then, you applied specific ideas from the reading as things you are believing in, and that might help him. Great work on this letter! 4points

Don't Laugh At Me

Remember as you view this digital story that a simple hug can help those affected by bullying feel better about themselves and the world around them.