I want to begin my blog this week by saying that I like the inventory idea but believe it is most relevant to upper grades. My thinking behind this is that first graders won't be able to answer the questions by themselves and you will more than likely get a parents viewpoint/opinion. I'm sure an inventory for the lower grade levels can be, and has been, done. I just think it's probably a little more tricky.
That being said, I thoroughly reviewed the surveys in "Fulfilling the Promise . . . " because I've completed one every year for my children's teachers. My son is in third grade and my daughter is in kindergarten. None of the surveys have been this in depth and it was obvious to me that those in the book were designed for upper level students.
The first survey was interesting to me because as I reviewed the list I realized the teacher had listed opposites for students to consider. For instance: "Sit still when I learn" and "Wiggle when I learn" were options for a student to list as ways they may or may not learn. I thought this was an interesting approach to gain access to a students learning capabilities. I copied the page and filled out the columns for myself! I did, however, feel like this survey lacked pertinent questions that would help the teacher learn about a students personal interests. Perhaps another questionnaire was designed for this purpose.
The second survey seemed to include both academic and personal interests of the student. However, it was also quite lengthy - two pages? You would probably lose the students' interest after about question #5. I don't think it's so important to know what their favorites are or how they see themselves as an adult. These are probably things you will find out in the first few weeks of class.
After looking through the folder on Blackboard I want to say I'm interested in everything but don't know what! I only wish I knew what grade I'm going to be teaching (don't we all!). The information I'm gathering in this class is truly helping me understand the importance of being able to adapt to every situation for every student. I feel like the knowledge I've gained up to this point is so minuscule and I appreciate every bit of information I continue to gather such as these preassessment ideas, rubrics, worksheets, guides, etc. Will I use them in my classroom? Yes! Will they be exactly as they are here on Blackboard? Possibly and possibly not. What will I do for preassessment? I will gather every resource I can before making that decision. Then I will do my very best for the students I am teaching at that particular time - and that will change every year, and sometimes more often than that. It isn't about how fabulous the preassessment is unless you can truly say it's fabulous for absolutely every student in your classroom 100% of the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't Laugh At Me
Remember as you view this digital story that a simple hug can help those affected by bullying feel better about themselves and the world around them.









1 comment:
Neat insight about the inventories in the book being most suited to older students. You make a great point! As for the ones online, please remember that a teacher can differentiat FOR readiness, OR interest, OR learning profile. So, you will find that most inventories are designed to get at ONE of those 3 conditions. Teachers can certainly create their own that gets at all three things, but usually, teachers are just differentiating one aspect of their teaching for ONE of those conditions.
Good! You see that any inventory is most useful when the teacher personalizes it for what he or she needs to know and is planning to teach. What did you think of getting a writing sample from students? 4 points
Post a Comment